If your child is fast approaching the age when you can introduce them to education, there is much to consider, and your choice of school is critical. In order to help you in your quest to find the best kindergarten program in your area, here is the schedule for a typical day.
Friendly and Inviting Atmosphere
Before we take a look at a typical day, it is important to stress that a good kindergarten program would be one that has a strong set of core beliefs. Their goals would be clear, and with an experienced team who are always striving to create the perfect learning environment, here is a typical day at a top kindergarten in Bangkok, to give you an idea of what goes on.
- 08:00-08:30 Reception – When the kids arrive one by one, they are greeted by one of the carers and would either enter the indoor or garden play area. The ambience would be informal, with no uniforms, and this is a time for mums to get on the same page as the staff, which is essential.
- 08:30 – 09:15 – Morning Greeting/Show & Tell –During this time, all the children would sit in a circle with the teachers. The kids would discuss what they did the previous evening, then the teacher would begin the morning greeting routine, which might be a song, and finally, they would discuss what they are going to do that day. Show & tell is when selected children bring something to class that has a meaning to them, which might be a book, a toy, or a photograph, and they present this to the class. Each day might see 2 or 3 children bring an item from home for show and tell.
- 09:15 – 09:30 Break – A short milk break when the kids can fuel up with energy.
- 09:30 – 10:30 Guided Play – The classroom would have many resources laid out in the corners, and the kids are encouraged to engage in their chosen activity. It might be drawing, colouring, or making things out of clay, and there would be a quiet book area, plus a few blocks and other learning resources. The carers rotate and engage in the activities with the children, and the kids have the freedom to switch to another activity, should they wish.
- 10:30 – 11:30 Dance & Movement –Songs are used creatively and the kids are encouraged to be active, and this is a lot of fun, plus it gives the physical exercise a growing body needs.
- 11:30 – 12:15 Lunchtime – The kids eat a varied healthy diet and table manners and social etiquette are practiced on a daily basis.
- 12:30 – 13:30 Theme Activity – There might be a theme, such as seasons, or professions, and during this time, the children sit and discuss the details of a theme, talk about home life and are all given the opportunity to express themselves, which is very important.
- Home Time – This is the time when parents collect their children, and over the course of a couple of hours, all the parents would have taken the time to sit down with the teacher to discuss the child’s development.
If you are thinking of sending your child to a kindergarten school, may them a visit first and spend a couple of hours observing, and if you see something similar to the above, then the program is well-designed and your child will develop and enjoy the experience.